Dangerous Waters Energy Science-SMART! Home

Activities & Experiments

Science Concept: Don’t Mix Water and Electricity

Fire extinguisherIf an appliance catches fire, your first reaction might be to throw water on it. DON’T DO IT! Water conducts electricity. Any electricity still flowing through the appliance can travel up the stream of water and shock you.

Keep in mind, too, that not all extinguishers are made to be used on electrical fires. Extinguishers rated A are for wood, paper, and cloth; those rated B are for combustible liquids like gasoline. Use an extinguisher with a C rating (most household extinguishers are rated C), which can be safely used on all fires, including electrical. Do you know where the fire extinguisher is in your house?


High Power Advanced Safety Concept